Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bicycling.com: 5 Healthy-but-Unhealthy Foods | Bicycling Magazine

So, interesting article, after just discussing protein intake and what is necessary, my Dad forwarded me this article today. I thought I'd pass it along

Protein

Many athletes think protein is the wonder nutrient, so they eat protein-fortified foods, says Piattoly. "But your body can process only about 4 to 5 grams of protein per hour, so the 50 grams you got from that protein bar and shake will take about 10 hours to digest and absorb." Your body needs protein to repair and build muscle, but eating excessive amounts won't do the job better. Some people fill up on protein and don't eat enough carbs, says Piattoly. Some experts believe excessive protein also stresses your kidneys. Healthy limits: Active cyclists need one-half to three-quarters of a gram of protein a day per pound of body weight, typically about 90 to 135 grams a day for a 180-pound man and 70 to 105 grams for a 140-pound woman. A three-ounce serving of chicken delivers 25 grams and a glass of milk another 10 grams, so it's easy to get enough through a healthy diet.


You can read the full article, here:

Bicycling.com: 5 Healthy-but-Unhealthy Foods | Bicycling Magazine


I have my first date tonight with my Spin Bike, Gustav- not gonna lie, I'm getting a bit skeered! I'm quite sure, he is going to kick my butt and like it.

Til next time!

~Millie :)


0 comments: