Friday, January 6, 2012

The Super Secret Trick to Staying on Track


In the month of January, we are all programmed to start thinking about ways we can start the new year that were different from the previous year.  We promise to work out, eat better, spend more time with our families, smile more, play with your kids etc.  Then, around say March or April life gets hectic, it gets too hard, there's too much else going on and those promises all disappear.  For those who have also decided that its 2012 or bust for the Healthy Me journey-  perhaps you're looking for a sure fire way to stay on track through the year.

Unfortunately, there is no surefire way to always stay on track one million percent. There really is no "Super Secret Trick"because basically, we are who we are-  and that is an imperfect being.  There are things you can do to set yourself up for success like:

1. Find An Exercise You Love-  that way it wont be a "punishment" or "torture"
For me, this is swimming.  No matter what else I have going on, for the most part I can always ensure that I will be in the pool.  It's my quiet place.  It gives me a chance to just be with me and my thoughts. Biking and Running as part of the Triathlon Trifecta  are -kind of- tortuous for me (running moreso than biking)  but swimming for me is fun and never a chore-  even when I push myself as hard as I can tolerate

2.  Find support.  If this is a gym buddy, a personal trainer, a friend -  whomever you know that will love you enough to understand when you really just need a break, or life is too complex for the moment-  but also knows when to kick your ass when they think you're just being lazy and giving up a workout for a Project Runway marathon on Lifetime (not that I speak from personal experience or anything )  :-D

3.  Dont look at restrictions as punishments but as challenges.  I know, I know easier said than done.  I feel ya.  Especially with this sugar thing for me.  However, I have found ways to curb my sweet tooth without breaking my sugar free promise (for me its a Peanut Butter [I use all natural peanut butter with flaxseeds- which cuts the sugar in more than half from store brands] Banana Protein Shake -  with lots of ice to make it really thick.  -  it feels like Im eating ice cream, but really I'm getting a yummy protein filled snack)

4.  If you fall off the wagon- dust yourself off and get right back on.  Trust me- I know all about these types of things.  It seems like somewhere in the middle of every term I fall off the wagon for a bit just because of how hectic everything becomes-  somehow the gym is always the first thing that gets tossed to the side.  Im trying very hard not to let this happen (especially now that I have my 15 minute walk DVD)  but if it does, recognize your error, and jump right back on.  Don't use it as an excuse to give up permanently (this is where your Support comes in handy)


Do you have any other tips for staying on track?  Or any tips for success you'd like to share? I'd love to hear it! :)

0 comments: