Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Recipe Success!

So, after my last recipe debacle, I was a bit leery to try another.  But I shopped specifically this week with my list of recipes in mind- so Lentil Stuffed Peppers it is.

The original recipe is from Eating Well magazine (I tried finding the link to the recipe online but can't locate it).  The original recipe is more of a Moroccan spiced recipe one that my wimpy taste buds probably couldn't handle-  so I had already planned on switching it up a bit.  Also the one from Eating Well is a meat eaters version of Moroccan Stuffed Peppers (with Sausage in it). It also called for white or brown rice.. and since we're not rice eaters here (since Im on a strict "eat carbs only when you earn them" diet.. I instead decided to use what I know:

1 Package of Lentils (I buy the ones that you dont have to soak overnight)
1 Medium Red Onion
1 bag of shredded carrots
1 Tablespoon of Garlic (I have dehydrated garlic from my favorite spice store Penzys Spices)  but Im sure any old garlic will be fine
Vegetable Stock
Green Peppers (2)
Orange Peppers (2)  >  Im sure you can use whatever color suits your fancy.
Hubs had an orange one I had a green one, they were both good.
Spinach
Walnuts (about 1 cup)


So, I set the oven to 350.
In one pot, I boiled the lentils in the vegetable stock.  ( I like using stock better than water it gives it more taste)
In another pan, while the lentils were cooking I took the garlic and onion and sauteed them in olive oil.  Adding the spinach and the carrots and cooking them down.
Once that was all cooked together, I took the lentils, the chopped up Walnuts [I broke out my fancy Cuisinart [you know I cant resist using it]  and chopped them up until they were a fine powder.. but Im sure keeping them in pieces would be fine as well]  and 2 ladles of stock and poured them into the pan with the spinach/carrot/onion/garlic mixture.

I stirred that all up let it simmer a bit for the flavors to combine  and then stuffed my peppers with the mixture.

I used a dutch oven to set my 4 peppers in.  Once the peppers were all in place, I ladled more of the stock from the lentils into the bottom of the dutch oven, enough to cover about 2 inches along the bottom of the pan.  I then covered the peppers with the remainder of the lentils from the pot and the rest of the stock (there isnt a lot of stock left when you boil the lentils in it, as they absorb most of it.  But if I had to say an amount, there is probably about 1/2 cup of stock left in the pot which I pour over the peppers to get them a bit damp)

I put the peppers in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes-  with a check at 15 minutes to see how the peppers were softening.  Once they are tender to the touch, but not mushy, take em out, and serve them.

And this was the result


Yum-O-Licious.  Even my carnivore husband liked them.  So YAY for a successful, healthy, vegetarian recipe :)

0 comments: