Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Motivation Monday- Tuesday Edition! - Elizabeth


Better late than never!  So, we’ll call this “Motivation Monday- Tuesday edition” Today's guest blogger is my friend Elizabeth.  She is a thirty-something Manager and Interior Designer who recently completed Chicago’s Shamrock Shuffle.   In her own words,  here is her inspiring story:

Thanks Millie for asking me to be your guest blogger!!
Yesterday, I participated in the Shamrock Shuffle for the second time. It is an 8K run that starts off the Chicago running season. There were about 34,000 people running in it. I started actively running about a year and a half ago. It was something I was never good at and wanted to overcome. So, I started off slow and had a goal. My goal was the Shamrock shuffle of 2010. I had a great support group the day of the race. I trained for it and was super nervous but I did well and finished. The shuffle of 2010 was SOOOO cold but this year’s shuffle was a couple weeks later in the year and the temperature were averaged in the 80’s. It was a beautiful day for a run! This year was a bit of a challenge for me because last year after the shuffle I began training for the Soldier Field 10 Mile race.  I was doing great with my training and was super excited and totally ready for the next challenge.  Then the worst thing could have happened… I discovered I fractured my right foot and was put in a boot for just about 6 months the week before the race. Talk about a total set back and disappointment.
So, my great achievement in running came to a fast stop. I continued to have a lot of trouble with the foot for several months after the boot came off. I started back running again in the end of January, slowly and not over doing it. I still do not have all my speed back that I had last year but week by week I am increasing my pace. I was not sure if I would be able to do the shuffle this year but I was very happy that I successfully completed the finish line. My foot did begin to hurt during the run. I am attributing it more to the adjustment of running outside and the really hot temperature.  I listened to my body and slowed down when I needed to.
It is such a great feeling to know that I have successfully completed 2 Shamrock shuffles. I hope to run it yearly and am going to add other runs to my summer agenda. My next goal will be to run the Newport, RI Half in October with some of my college friends. From this experience I have learned that you can achieve things in life even of you think you can’t. You have to be in the right state of mind and listen to your body.  It was great to be back outside running yesterday and the adrenalin and the excitement of the people and the crowd cheering all the runners on. Even after a big setback I am back in the game and ready for the 2011 running season!!

Are you training for a race or did you recently complete one?  I'd love to have you share your inspiring story as a guest blogger on See Millie Tri.  Email me at Millie [at] See Millie Tri [dot] com and let me know when your race is.  I would love to share your success with everyone else!  


2 comments:

Mary said...

I did the Shamrock Shuffle too! Incredibly hot, but such an amazing race - running on the Chicago streets was an unbelievable experience. ♥

See Millie Tri said...

One day I'll make it to an 8K at the moment I still struggle with the 5k distance. A Runner I certainly am not :( but one day I hope to be!