Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fad Diets

Photo Courtesy of  redbrownandblue.com

I was having lunch with my co-workers today, and we were discussing weight loss/healthy living/ etc.  One person mentioned that they are waiting for the arrival of "Eat Right for Your Type"  while another one discussed that they were thinking of doing the "Paleo Diet".  Also discussed was here say about Kate Middleton and how she is doing some new french fad-ish diet that is a morph between Atkins and the Zone diet.    All of these different types of diets have gotten me thinking. On Amazon.com at this very moment, there are 11,038 diet books (hardcover), and 7,399 "diet products" (diet pills, patches and cleanses).  

 It is amazing how we all so desperately want a quick fix (myself included- considering I have not only bought into many of these fad diets, but also am probably the most impatient person when it comes to weight loss),  that we will gladly hand over our money to any charlatan promising "miracle weight loss".

No one "miraculously" wakes up one morning and discovers they are now sixty pounds heavier.  And certainly there isn't a person out there who doesn't  exercise for one day, and suddenly discovers the next morning that none of their clothes fit anymore.  So, why do we all want this to happen on the way back down?  We work out for two weeks, watch our calories, are "good", and yet we are heartbroken when we "only lose a pound"  or "are still the same size we were two weeks ago"

Weight loss takes time.  Diet isn't another word for miracle, and if you really want to lose sustainable weight and truly make steps that you will be able to stick with, fad diets aren't your answer.

I'm sure I'm going to catch some flack from so-and-so's that are going to say that they have lost weight and kept it off with XYZ diet.  I'm not Dear Abby, and I'm not really trying to give advice on which diet is best.  These observations really aren't about that.  It's more of a discussion looking at the reasons why we all want instant gratification, and we are disappointed when we don't receive it.  The weight crept up on us, and it's going to creep back down again

We all need to revisit the story of the tortoise and the hare though, and remember that slow and steady wins the race.  .

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

So true! I'm just as guilty but have lost weight in the past with just plain old portion control and eating healthy foods 80 percent of the time. It is about making lifestyle changes that you can live with which means patience. No quick fixes!

See Millie Tri said...

Absolutely! Same for me (well thats what Im doing now. Portion control. Natural foods- trying to stay away from heavily processed foods, excercise ... thats it! :)

anna said...

In my 25+ years of dieting, no quick-fix diet has ever worked. This is the first time I've simply changed my habits and the weight stays off, even when I have bad days.

Becky Durham said...

For me, I find myself more patient when I focus on being healthy and my exercise goals (like working on C25K or working up to 60+ minutes a day, etc) rather than weight loss. I'd love to lose weight faster and I'm tired of hitting plateaus and stubborn pounds, but ultimately, I want to feel better and be healthy so I can do all the things I want to do.

I've tried fad diets. I can't ever stick with them.

paul said...

I believe that any kind of diet requires proper nutrition. Always take the right vitamins and supplements to maintain your health while dieting.

-Vitamins Canada