Monday, February 7, 2011

Jumping Rope- Who Knew!

So, it's not like you would spend an entire hour jumping rope, but if you want to, you'll burn a whopping 780 Calories doing it. Zumba, 500 calories (I've always wanted to try Zumba- my lovely gym only offers one session and it's always packed :( - Has anyone ever done the DVD? Let me know how it is, maybe I'll just Zumba at home instead)

Anyhow, the point is, that even in the winter (and I am especially guilty of this considering Ive been whining for weeks about how I can't wait to get outside again) you can find ways to exercise even without a gym membership or expensive equipment. Heck, jumping rope you can use just about anything (though, I wouldn't suggest jumping rope with a purse strap, as my older sister still bears the scar from the Great Purse Jumping debacle of '80 in which she jumped rope with it, caught her leg in the strap, flew face first into the corner of a wall and split her head open- resulting in some stitches)

But, here is a link from Yahoo about some other great ways to burn calories INDOORS. Top Calorie Burning Workouts


The Top 6 Calorie-Burning Workouts - Healthy Living on Shine

4 comments:

Alex said...

So let me do my quick math. I run for 20 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace, so I burn only 225 calories? Oh, that's for a 145 pound person. So do I burn more or less because I'm 215-220? Even if I burn 300 calories, why does it feel like I burn 5000??? Ugh, working out sucks but I still feel good from it, even if it's only 300 calories I'm burning!!

See Millie Tri said...

It would be more calories burned the heavier you are. You can figure out your exact calorie burn here http://www.healthstatus.com

According to this website you burn 342 calories :)

And as long as you love doing it (or love the way you feel afterward) that is all that matters!!!

Angelika said...

Hey- I was only 4 when I was jumping rope with the purse. ;-)~

See Millie Tri said...

really? That means I was only an infant- you had to have been older than that because I have a very clear memory of you doing it... are you sure you weren't five?