Monday, January 18, 2010

Keeping Up With The Kardashians, A Lightbulb!, Procrastination and Avoidance

So, I was watching a segment on E! News about "How the Kardashians Keep Their Rockin' Body". Trust me, I did not tune in specifically for this, it was simply one piece of th E! news experience for the day. Anyhow, I wanted to share with you, some of the exercises that they showed because seriously, as much as I hate to admit it- they work, fairly well.

One of the Kardashians, the one who is neither pregnant or married- I can't remember her name and seriously its not important enough for me to break my thought train to go look her up- showed the audience a few moves with a balance ball. Including Lumber Jack Chops (bringing the balance ball across your body and down, and then across your body bringing it back up)

This one works really well to tone a swimmers arm. Additionally, same Kardashian also showed us that to tighten the core as well as firm the tush at the same time squat over a chair and bring the medicine ball overhead in a circular motion rotating first to the right and then to the left.

She filled the rest of the segment with unimportant fluff that has no bearing on my blog- but I thought those two exercises would be interesting to share with the swimmers of the world :)

I signed up at Beginnertriathlete.com today and printed out my official "training logs" and a lightbulb hit me. So last year all those times that I was all like "ha ha you dumb Ironmen, you are only in the pool for a half hour while I spend a full hour swimming circles around you." Yeah, there's a reason that they were only in the pool for a half hour and it had nothing to do with the fact that they possessed less stamina than tubby ole Millie. It's because that is what their training logs tell them to do. I mean, seriously- where I even thought that some giant buff to the extreme iron man would have LESS stamina in the pool that me?- I have no idea. But now, just thinking about it, I kick myself over and over again. I'm such a dork.

I spent the evening in the pool. I love the pool. There is something so relaxingly hypnotic about the slap pull slap of the water as I make my way up and back. In the water, everything is tuned out. It's the most solitary form of exercise, in which you are entirely dependant on the mechanics of your own body to propel you through. And, unless you workout with an Otterbox (which I do on occasion, but today it was just me and my thoughts hanging out) the silence is both refreshing and medatative.

I really do need to get my butt back upstairs and start working with the bike again (oh yeah- and that running thing.......)
I must say, I am all kinds of freaking out about both the bike and the run- for different reasons. The bike I am confident that by come Tri time, I'll be just fine. But I haven't hauled my happy ass on an actual bike since like the 7th grade. And I know that there's that trite little saying about it's as easy as getting back on a bike, but I am petrified that when it comes time to bike hunting to purchase my new bike that I'm going to get on the bike and look like a total ass- and the sales person is going to be like "yeah, and YOURE planning on doing a Triathlon. ... you do realize that Biking is a big portion of that."

Im sure it will be fine, when that time comes. Right now, it's still winter and my biking is done inside on a stationary but soon, I will need to purchase a bike and start training outside..and hopefully when the time comes I'll actually remember how to do it again!

0 comments: