Sunday, August 23, 2009

No Backing Out Now

I've created this blog, so that I have someone- be it a virtual someone-  to keep me committed to this insane adventure I have decided to embark on.  Why a triathlon? You may ask.
Well, inspired by the multitude of sizes of women who competed in this years Women's Sprint Triathlon, the driving force being a close friend of mine.  I figured if these women, of all shapes and sizes can get out there and do this so can I.   So what if I have 2 bad knees and a bad ankle- along the way, I'm hoping they will strengthen as the weight comes off. I have almost a year mind you. 

When you ask someone what the hardest part of a triathlon is, they all say the swimming, hands down.  Well, I already swim on average 1200-1400 yards daily, so I figured, if I already have the "hard part" nailed, then the rest will be gravy.  My Achilles heel, will be the run.  I've never been much of a runner, and at my current weight (which at this moment, I am not going to name but trust me, it's high)  I'm sure my feet, ankles, calves, thighs, hips are all screaming "Nooo!" in unison, but  it's just a matter of getting started.

I am armed with a copy of "Slow Fat Triathlete"  which is going to be my go-to bible,  since it seems there are others of the portly persuasion who have also heard this call to insanity.

I've promised myself that no matter what- I will compete.  Even if I have to walk it.  Even if I'm just starting the run portion when they are dismantling the stage, and people are pulling away... I will compete, I will finish.  I don't wait to be afraid of failure anymore.  Better to have tried and failed, then never to have tried at all right?  

Hang on, I'm sure it will be an interesting ride.




0 comments: