Monday, September 12, 2011

How Do You Give Back? #WalgreensGives #spon



Thanks to Walgreens for sponsoring my writing. Help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote.

When you think of the words "Giving Back"  what comes to mind?  Is it in the physical sense, as in - donating money or time to a specific cause, or is it giving back to people what they give to you-  returning kindness for kindness, paying it forward to others in your community?  With the anniversary of 9/11 just passing, it reminds me of how nice everyone was after the attacks.  We as a community were awaked out of our tunnel vision and realized that we are on this planet with other people.  We held doors open, said please and thank you, people gave up their seats on public transportation to people who needed the seats more than them.  We remembered to "give back".

www.chemoangels.net

My current way of giving back, is through an organization called "Chemo Angels".  As Maragaret discussed in her motivation post on Wednesday, going through Chemo is a tough journey.  As she said, when mired in the middle of it, you dont know what is up or down but you keep trudging through because you know there is the hope of healing at the other end of that rough journey.


A friend introduced me to the Chemo Angels organization after the soldiers I sponsored in Iraq & Afghanistan returned home.  She knew that I was already sending letters and packages weekly to three soldiers, and so suggested I sponsor someone going through chemotherapy.  As you guys know with my hectic schedule of work, school and exercise, the hours in the day are already not enough for all that is on my plate- so being able to make a difference to someone on my own time is a plus for me.  With this amazing, grass roots organization, you are paired with a person who is going through chemotherapy to be a friend and a ray of sunshine in an otherwise gloomy time.  I send a card a week and usually a package with some form of small gift (a magnet or stickers, or some magazines etc)  just to let them know someone is thinking of them.

I honestly think that this became so fullfilling for me as much as it has been for my "angels".  And, I love that I really am making a difference in someone's life- with something that has an immediate impact.   Don't you get excited when you get something other than a bill in the mail?  Imagine if you were sick and feeling down and you found a note in the mail wishing you well.  It would lift you up- even if just for a litttle while right?  And that's exactly WHY I love giving back in this way.

If you are interested in learning more abut the Chemo Angels and what they do, you can visit their site at www.chemoangels.net



Don't forget to help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

0 comments: